Study in Canada

Contact Us

Canada has one of the best and most respected education systems in the world. Every year, thousands of students from other countries pursue their educational goals in Canada. With new ways to gain valuable Canadian work experience during and after your studies, the advantages of studying in Canada are great. There are also permanent immigration options for international students who have graduated from post-secondary programs in Canada.

You will need a study permit

If you wish to take academic, professional or vocational training at a university, college, or other educational institution in Canada, you will need a study permit before you enter Canada. There are a few exceptions to this rule. For example, you do not need a study permit if you are enrolling in a short-term course or program of six months or less duration.
However, if you think you might study for more than six months, it is advisable to obtain a study permit before you arrive in Canada.

Choose a Canadian school, college or university

Before you can apply for a study permit, you must be accepted at a Canadian educational institution. In Canada, each province or territory manages its own education system. Different provinces and territories have different options and services for students.
Note: Some private institutions, such as career colleges and language schools, are not regulated by the government.

Once you have chosen a place to study, you will need to apply for admission. Before applying, it is always advisable to find the admission requirements for a desired program and an institution. These requirements generally involve credits or percentage earned in the previous education history. A must requirement is to have the language proficiency scores; which can be assessed by various International language tests. IELTS mainly conducts language proficiency test through a set pattern of Bands from 1-9. Different institutions accept students according to their own IELTS band score requirements. Generally most of the community colleges accepts a minimum of Band 5.5 in each module and overall of 6.0 for undergraduate programs and a minimum of Band 6.0 in each module and overall of 6.5 for graduate courses. However, Universities have higher band requirement of overall 7.0 and not less than 6.5 in each module. If the school admits you as a student, it will send you a letter of acceptance. You need this letter in order to apply for a study permit. Please note that if you apply to study in the province of Quebec, the requirements are different.

Apply for a study permit

You must apply for a study permit from outside Canada, at the visa office responsible for the country or region where you reside. Many visa offices have specific local instructions about which documents you must submit with your application.

  • You must include, as a minimum:
  • Your letter of acceptance.
  • Proof of your identity
  • Proof that you have sufficient funds for your stay in Canada.

Letter of acceptance

You must include the original letter of acceptance you received from the educational institution you plan to study in Canada. This is to prove that you have been accepted by an educational institution in Canada.

Proof of funds

You must also include proof that you have sufficient funds for your stay in Canada. This includes money for:

  • Tuition fees
  • Living expenses for you and any family member coming to Canada with you and return transportation for you and your family.